Thursday 25 October 2018

CHAPTER8:THORNS OF A ROSE WRITTEN BY WUNGA

‘’S o where did you move from exactly?’’ I glanced at Ash who was huffing and puffing.

Which didn’t make any sense because we hardly had done anything.
He had turned into a bright tomato in less then one hour.
‘’Pig Island. It’s a beach in the Bahama’s, not many know that people live there,’’ he grinned.
Pig. Island.
This guy had to be tripping. Or maybe just messing with me.
‘’Pig Island? Do you eat bacon there?’’ I snickered at my corny joke.
Tim would’ve laughed and laughed at it. He always pretended to love my jokes.
Even if they were terrible.
‘’Eh, depends if the pigs want to swim or not,’’ Ash grabbed a rake off the ground.
I rolled my eyes and knelt to the ground, ripping out weeds.
‘’What? Am I making this awkward again?’’ he started to comb the ground.
Yeah.
Just a little.
‘’My little sister said I’m the biggest nerd in the world because of my glasses,’’ Ash shoved them up his nose.
They were huge. I mean smaller frames would’ve looked a lot better with his eye color.
‘’I like them. She’s eight, so I don’t listen much to what she says,’’ he laughed.
I looked away trying to imagine Lilly’s cute little face.
She would be so adorable at a young age, toddling around while I snapped pictures.
Along with Tim.
‘’But just tell me to shut up and I will,’’ Ash plopped down next to me.
Wish granted.
‘’Shut up,’’ I dug around under the dirt and yanked out a stubborn purple root.
He laughed, which was the only normal thing about him.
‘’So..what about you? I mean you don’t have to tell me your whole life story just a snippet. Like why you have purple highlights in your hair-‘’ he tugged one of them lightly.
That was a dare Tim had made me do.
He really hadn’t expected me to go through with it but I did, and I liked the look of them.
So they stayed.
‘’I don’t like when people touch me,’’ I slapped his hand away.
‘’Ow! Sorry..sorry. I uh, I didn’t mean it. I’ll keep that in my file of..
Dahila,’’ he rolled his tongue.
I was a file?
I shook my head and grabbed the watering pot, starting to tilt it.
‘’But really. Tell me one thing. Not trying to be a stalker or anything,’’ Ash blushed.
Well news flash buddy.
Your a stalker and a nerd. I’ll add
that to his file of..Ash.
‘’I like to stay mysterious,’’ I squinted at him, a thin smile on my lips.
There.
‘’Someone told me you had a..you had a baby,’’ he scratched his nose which was sweating.
I felt everything crash inside me.
My fingers stopped moving in the soil and I squinted at him through the sun.
‘’I don’t judge people though. So you can tell me anything. It’ll probably just come out the other end,’’ he made a squishing noise.
O-kay.
I stared at him, wondering if he had realized what he just said.
Slowly very slowly Ash’s face bloomed into a bright pink.
‘’Oh God. I just said that. What is wrong with me?’’ he put a palm to his face.
I knew that feeling to well.
‘’A lot is wrong with you,’’ I picked up a twig buried deep in the dirt and cracked a smile.
We both turned back to working until something crashed at my fingers.
‘’Dahlia,’’ Ash poked me.
I waved him off, in the zone of working.
I gripped it in my hands and shoved it up in the soil, listening to a solid crack.
‘’Dahlia!’’ Ash finally snapped me out of it.
‘’What?’’ I threw down my pile and dusted off the debris on my apron Mrs. Larkspur had given me.
He rubbed his face and I realized this was the first I looked into his eyes.
They froze me in place.
‘’You just crushed my glasses.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment