Saturday 27 October 2018

**** CHAPTER 14 THORNS OF A ROSE WRITTEN BY WUNGA ****

T im was slouched in the corner sitting in a booth, very secretly.
I winced at the loud bell from the cafe door and started for the table, my heart thumping.

‘’Hey Timmy!’’ I squeaked out, putting a hand on his shoulder.
He whipped around so fast I almost slipped over one of the chair legs.
‘’Oh. Dahlia. Hey,’’ he blinked. It kind of looked like he didn’t recognize me or something.
But no.
That was impossible.
We were still a couple. We loved each other.
‘’Kinda crazy you’re really here huh?’’ I took a seat nervously.
Tim nodded and yanked at his tie (he never wore one before) and forced a smile.
It was fake by the way he plastered it on so fast.
For it to be a real smile you have to make your eyes twinkle along with it.
‘’It’s a small world I guess,’’ he huskily said.
I bit my lip and folded the menu up, staring at it with burning eyes.
I had already memorized all the plates.
One of the waiters walked over and I swear that everything inside me just froze up.
I knew that brown hair and those blue eyes.
God it’s Ash!
How mortifying
‘’Dahlia!’’ he rushed over to our table.
I watched Tim very slowly stiffen. Oh great. He got the wrong feel for this already.
‘’Check it out I got new shades, and whenever I go outside they turn black,’’ Ash slipped them off.
Then he put them to his mouth and breathed on them.
Oh. My. God.
‘’Okay that’s um great?’’ I started to fluff out my hair, hoping Tim would notice.
Or at least stare at me like he used to do.
‘’Well kinda. I almost got ran over by a car yesterday, and some fat guy started yelling at me. Oh and then the best part-‘’
‘’Look can we just order please? ‘’ Tim butted in, his voice sharp.
Ash jumped and quickly shoved his glasses back on.
‘’Yeah sorry. What can I get you?’’ he grinned cockily at us.
I put down my menu and finally felt like my embarrassed flushed cheeks were done.
‘’I’ll just take a sprite,’’ I smiled thinly.
Ash bobbed his head up and down, messing with his hair.
‘’I’ll get the triple double-decker with extra bacon,’’ Tim sat back in the booth.
‘’Yeah sure. But I uh would recommend not getting the coleslaw,’’ Ash said behind his menu.
Did he want to scare customers away?
I felt a snicker bubbling up deep inside me.
‘’Why not?’’ Tim seemed like he was taunting him.
I really don’t know how I felt about that.
‘’Because well Joey makes it and recently he said he’s had the squirts and you know how that goes,’’ Ash made a face.
I facepalmed and shrank back as Tim narrowed his eyes.
‘’Look you little piece of-‘’ he started.
I gulped. Timmy always said that weasly guys got him triggered for no reason.
Maybe he thought Ash was weasly?
‘’But it’s all good dude. Poop is said to be good for you-‘’ Ash put his hands up in surrender.
He wasn’t really helping his case here.
‘’Just go get our food,’’ Tim growled shoving him away.
Ash nodded, fake smiling and rushed away rubbing his red arms.
‘’God you didn’t have to squeeze the life out of him,’’ I awkwardly rubbed my eyes.
He gave me a weird look and then started to speak.
‘’How’s Lilly?’’ A bunch of sarcasm was dripping in his words.
Adopted.
You’ve just missed it all.
‘’What do you care?’’ I snapped.
A little kid from across the room started to cry.
‘’I don’t care I’m just trying to break the silence. And thanks for asking how I’ve been for the past five months!’’ Tim’s words were poison.
I felt stuck in my spot as the anger welled up inside me.
‘’You were the one who left!’’ My voice raised.
He shook his head and snickered softly, crossing his beefy arms.
‘’There’s a freakin reason why I left Dahlia!’’ I wanted to start crying right then and there.
But sometimes you just couldn’t.
Especially in front of the person who had let you down the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment