Friday 26 October 2018

**** CHAPTER 12 THORNS OF A ROSE WRITTEN BY WUNGA ****

H alfway through the movie, Mikey put his hand on my knee.
Which was a classic Creep signal.

‘’Um excuse you,’’ The tips of my ears suddenly felt as hot as lava.
‘’What? Why can’t we have a little fun in the dark..quiet..move theater?’’ he leaned closer.
I jumped up and felt the popcorn filter to the ground.
‘’Oh come on, it’s called fun!’’ I heard him yell.
A bunch of groans erupted behind me and I hurried out of the room, trying not to break down.
Tim always used to take me to the movies.
It just ended up with us making out the whole time, but I loved it.
Because I loved him.
Or..I love him.
Still, I love him.
The doors slammed shut and Ralph stepped in looking around with owl eyes.
‘’Are you scared? That shark was huge no?’’ he rubbed his arms.
‘’No-‘’ I quietly laughed and leaned against the black wall.
The shark had already eaten at least half the city and was going after a surfer.
‘’It was Mikey,’’ I wiped the stupid tears running down my face.
I hated crying.
Absolutely hated it.
‘’Ah. Well, I can punch em,’’ Ralph hooked the air and smiled crookedly at me.
At least someone was nice in this dark world.
‘’Thanks. But no thanks. I just want to get home,’’ I weakly said.
Ralph hiked up his saggy pants and sniffed.
‘’I have a truck. Let’s go,’’ he pointed outside. I smiled and started outside, managing to pull myself together.
Tomorrow I was going back to get my baby.
Then it would all be okay.
‘’Sorry for the mess. It has been a while since I really cleaned,’’ he unlocked the door.
It was true, there were wrappers everywhere.
Stacks of books toppled over and
I stepped into the huge blue truck and buckled myself up with the sticky thing.
‘’Thanks for..you know,’’ I smiled at him.
‘’Noes problem!’’ Ralph clutched the keys and then stopped, frowning.
‘’Or is it no problem? So confusing,’’ he shook his head. I jumped at the rumble of the truck.
Poor guy.
The thing was small but it had some horsepower.
I opened the mirror to check my tear stains out and blinked.
A picture was settled in my lap.
‘’Oh. Sorry,’’ Ralph quickly swiped it away but not before I caught the girl smiling with him.
‘’Who’s that?’’ I poked at her.
She seemed to be leaning in for him to kiss her cheek. Ralph was standing behind her with a wide grin on his face.
‘’Maria. My- My girlfriend,’’ he stammered.
Aw.
‘’Really? You should be with her instead of hanging out with..those bozo’s,’’ I jammed my thumb behind me.
Ralph sat up straighter in his seat and blinked.
‘’It’s colipcated,’’ he shrugged.
I bet they were in some little fight or something. Nothing serious.
Nothing like Timmy.
‘’Complicated,’’ I quickly corrected holding my finger out.
Ralph nodded and I told him where to turn and which roads to go down, stuff like that.
I think I had accidentally made it awkward.
‘’You live all alone?’’ he widened his eyes.
I cleared my throat and smoothed down my hair. Luckily I hadn’t worn makeup.
‘’Yeah weird for a sixteen year old right?’’ I laughed hollowly.
‘’But..but why?’’ he gave me a look.
I opened the car door and slid out, my hand gripping the knob.
‘’It’s complicated,’’ I smiled at him.
And then I shut the car door, all alone on the dark road.

No comments:

Post a Comment