Wednesday 24 October 2018

**** MAGIC:CHAPTER3 SURREAL ****

I had been defeated. The fairy, whose name I refused to get, was now leading me home, around the creaking back gate, past all the students. We weren’t technically allowed back here, but this was an
emergency , that called for drastic measures to be taken.

How was I going to break the news to my parents? They had told me that it was a better idea to set my fairy free, and I was starting to see the merits of that. If only my fairy wanted to go, I would send her away in an instant.
As we walked on the Teacher’s Walkway, where only professors could travel on, I made sure to try and stay in the shadows, where the low hanging, black trees could shroud me. I crept, slow and steady, up the path, making sure my face was concealed, and that I was always close to the fence. I wasn’t paranoid. These were real, precautionary measures. It was too bad my dress was so conspicuous, with it’s bright, vivid colors that no one could possibly hide in.
“Hey, go a little faster!” My fairy begged.
I shook my head rapidly.
“Why not ? I’m bored of you,” she complained.
I put a terse finger to my lips, smudging the lip gloss. She didn’t realize that if I opened my mouth to speak, then I would me heard by the Dean, who had ears all over, and an ability I’d rather avoid. A fairy was quiet enough to be undetected. But a human would be heard and captured in an instant, and then, they’d kick me out of school. If I was unlucky, they’d send me right to a fairy owned corporation- and I’d have to work their for five years! I was only fifteen, who wanted that until they were twenty?
So, I continued with the utmost amounts of trepidation.
Suddenly, I made a horrible, dangerous mistake. I tripped onto the sidewalk, and hit my elbow against the pavement, blood squelching out into the cracks. Or maybe that was just my imagination. All I knew was that it looked a lot worse then it felt, and that I had began to cry, for the second time that day. I hoped it wasn’t becoming a normal thing for me, because I didn’t think I could stand it.
But I realized that I had done something awful, something unacceptable. And I could hear Dean Mollik’s shoes, clicking their way towards me. My life had become a total tragedy, and it was only going to get worse, wasn’t it?
I began to run, knowing that he probably wouldn’t recognize my while I was moving quickly, but my elbow stung like the time when an elf set me on fire. And my stupid, horrible little fairy wasn’t helping, not even one bit. Instead, she was throwing her useless Fairy Dust around like it was confetti, giving the Dean a perfect trail to us. I began to panic as I realized that there was no way out. The gate was closed all the way, and the Dean was coming. Oh, she was so dead when he saw her.
Especially because of his ability.
Suddenly, I felt a sharp hand on my shoulder.
“Miss Livi,” a voice said, “what are you doing here?”
My throat constricted, as I turned around to see none other than Dean Mollik, with his black goatee, round glasses, and eyes that were flecked, as if pieces of mud had gotten lodged into them. I knew the truth, however, that it was his ability manifesting itself in his eyes. His tall stature, and sharp suit did nothing to assuage my fears.
I resolved to say nothing, because if I spoke at all, he’d know the truth.
You see, Dean Mollik happened to be the best at his job. He captured every student that did wrong, because he could see guilt and lies. But, he could only do it when someone spoke to him. Usually, only detectives had that ability, but he had (unfortunately) decided against going into that field, to join us as our
lovely Dean. I was inclined to avoid him, but I was trapped.
“I said, what are you doing here? This is the Teachers Walkway, which is strictly forbidden for students. Shouldn’t you be at the Ceremony, anyways?” He asked, raising his bushy eyebrows.
Don’t tell him anything. Don’t tell him anything.
But there was one way out of being caught... even if it was extremely risky. If it didn’t work, I’d be in double the trouble. Gulping back my terror, I stared at him, right in his strange, sharp eyes, that were peering down at me, like I was in an interrogation room.
Breath.
“I didn’t want to stay at the Ceremony, anymore,” I said, “I wanted to go back home, and meet my new fairy, see what my powers could do... and all of that... but the crowds were too thick.”
The thing was, all of that was true, if not the whole truth. I hoped that would be acceptable, in his eyes.
Suddenly, his eyes softened a bit, and he put an awkward hand on my shoulder.
“I remember my Ceremony, too. The years hardly seem to pass by, eh? I remember all that pent up exuberance I had to. I’ll let this one slide, Miss Livi. But no repeat offenses,” he warned, “I know you’ve worked so hard for this special day, so I’m just going to tell you that the password for the door is Norgie.”
Special day, yeah, right. More like a nightmare that I wish was a dream.
I waved goodbye, and slipped out of the gate, glad to have him gone. I had never felt so much relief course through my body, not in my entire, teenage life. He hadn’t caught me- instead, he even gave me a free pass to use the door!
I started to walk away from school, towards my house.
Suddenly, however, I didn’t want to go home. I had another idea.
“You’re coming with me, fairy,” I said, “we’re going to the car lot.”
I walked all the way to the car lot, trudging and limping by the time I made it. My feet were blistering, yet my fairy looked perfectly fine. She could fly anywhere she wanted.
Billy’s sed ar Lot , the sign read, letters having fallen off. The paint was chipping, and the place looked deserted. But my fairy looked positively ecstatic.
“So, you’re finally realizing that you want me around! I can show you exactly what to do, and we’re going to have some great parking adventures together! In the mall, in the supermarket- we can be best friends, and always have the best spots!” She squealed.
I turned away from her.
“ I was thinking that we should try something a little bit... different. Just to see if it works with my ability! If this works... maybe my ability will have a few perks!” I said, with a grin, as I began to get into an old, blue car, sliding into its worn, leather seats.
Now that so many people could fly, cars had become a bit more obsolete in the past ten years. I was lucky to find one in such great shape!
I hadn’t exactly learned to drive yet... but how hard could it be? Turn a steering wheel, press a pedal or two- there was no way a little test like this could possibly go wrong! I found the key in the slot, and pressed it in, the lights slowly flickering on, like I was in an ancient amusement park, long since covered in dust. I was enamored with all the switches and buttons on the dash; what did they do? Maybe I’d get to find out, today. Right here, right now.
I slammed my foot down on the gas pedal, and the car went soaring. Buckling my seat belt, I pulled the wheel, with the force of a muscular tiger, and with the grace of a wounded elephant.
“Whoo!” I cried.
“You realize that this is the worst idea, ever, right? I’m not an elf! If this kills me, I won’t come back in another life!” My fairy gripped the seats, her rosy cheeks turning green.
“You’re a fairy, remember? Nothing’s going to happen to us while you’re here, don’t worry!” I assured her.
“If you don’t recall, let me refresh your memory- I’m a parking fairy,
not a driving fairy!”
“What do you mean? You’re saying you have no skills or abilities other than parking? What kind of fairy are you?”
“I just told you! I’m a parking fairy!
Keep your eyes on the road! Why are we leaving the lot?”
I couldn’t tell her, but all I knew was that the lot was too claustrophobic, and I couldn’t drive there. If I was going to survive, I would need to do it on a road.
Suddenly, I realized why I should have kept my eyes on the road. I had gone across the deserted street, the wide way, and I couldn’t figure out how to stop before I crashed into a building. My eyes widened to the size of saucers, and I frantically pressed every pedal, to no avail.
“ We’re both going to die! “ I cried as I hurtled towards the wall of a fast food restaurant.
The wall came closer, and closer, until I could see the melted mortar in between every piece that hel it up, and I closed my eyes, preparing for the crash.
Suddenly, I realized something that could save us, hoping it wasn’t too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment