Sunday 28 October 2018

**** THORNS OF A ROSE CHAPTER 16 WRITTEN BY WUNGA ****

‘’A re you sure that’ll work?’’ I nervously pestered.

Ash squeezed the cup tighter and pumped the little lever down, which layered coleslaw into it.
‘’I’m sure. Come on you have to trust me, I’ve been working here for six days so far,’’ he bragged.
I’m so impressed. Really, he should get an award.
‘’Wow. Six days,’’ I did jazz hands.
Someone started yelling in a different language.
Maybe it was that Italian boss guy.
‘’If my research is correct we have a fifty-five chance of escaping,’’ he did a little giggle.
I never knew boys could giggle like that.
‘’That’s like..only half!’’ I groaned.
Ash turned to me and jiggled the cup back and fourth.
‘’Ready for this?’’ he grinned starting for Tim’s table, where he was talking on the phone.
‘’Ready as I’ll ever be,’’ I shoved my hands in my pocket.
Ash cleared his throat and started to the table, clutching the coleslaw tightly.
‘’Hey squirt,’’ he waved him over.
Coincidence? I think not.
‘’Have you seen a skinny but seriously hot girl around here with purple highlights in her hair?’’ Tim scowled as he described me.
I felt something fire deep down inside me.
Maybe there was still something there.
He did call me hot.
Ash put down the plate and put a hand on his chin.
‘’Does she kinda waddle like this?’’ he started to wobble himself back and forth.
Tim perked up and nodded.
I made a small gasping noise and put a hand to my chest.
Did I waddle?
Oh God, maybe I looked exactly like a penguin.
‘’And..does she nervously fiddle with her lip? Like this?’’ Ash tugged at his mouth.
I bought a hand up to my face and ran a finger around my lip.
Maybe I did do that once in a while.
‘’Well? Tick tock you dork,’’ Tim impatiently tapped his wrist.
I narrowed my eyes at all the flying insults. Who peed in his orange juice?
Ash probably did.
I snickered to myself and watched as he brought the cup out and KABOOM!
It ran all over Tim’s face. He jumped up and grabbed Ash by the collar, raising him into the air.
‘’Hey! Careful big guy, I have chest hairs coming in!’’ Ash wagged a finger.
Oh my God, that put a terrible image in my mind.
‘’Oh yeah? How many?’’ Tim challenged jiggling him around in the air like a puppet.
If I wasn’t so worried for him I would’ve laughed.
‘’Two. Not including the one you just ripped off with your finger,’’ he blabbed on and on.
I smacked my forehead and came out from behind the box.
This wasn’t going to help anything.
‘’Okay just put him down,’’ I ordered throwing up my hands.
Ash squeaked and grunted, as Tim lowered him to the floor.
I let out a breath of relief as his sneakers squeaked and he gripped the table, looking sick.
‘’Standing up for your little boyfriend huh?’’ Tim wiped his eyes.
‘’No!’’ I stomped my foot. Ash took of his glasess and started to wipe them down.
He was grinning like a clown.
‘’I don’t even..he’s not...We’re not even friends,’’ I blurted out.
His smile peeled right off his face like old paint.
‘’I just know him from some dumb planting thing,’’ I rolled my eyes at Tim who did his adorable throaty laugh.
His warm eyes were back and I felt myself relax.
Until I realized what I had just said.
Oh my God.
‘’Ash I didn’t-‘’
He brushed past me and outside slamming the door shut.
The empty cup of coleslaw just about made me break down.

No comments:

Post a Comment