Thursday 25 October 2018

**** THORNS OF A ROSE CHAPTER 10 WRITTEN BY WUNGA****

U p for a movie tonight?
It was Carly.

I let out a whoosh of breath I had been holding and slowly texted back with shaky fingers.
I haven’t hung out with friends in forever :(
Her reply was instant and sassy.
Well duh. That’s why I’m inviting you! Be ready for six, I’ll pick u up!
I broke out into a smile and floated over to the mirror.
My hair was knotty and totally messed up with the purple highlights.
I sighed and looked down my phone buzzing.
Hummingbirds’ wings can beat up to 200 times a second.
It was Ash.
I frowned at the stupid fact and picked up my phone, popping my gum.
And why do I care about this?
While I waited for his answer I yanked back my hair with a yellow band and wiggled my eyebrows.
I tried to imagine Tim whistling at me.
I’m gonna hit you with a fun fact every day! Awesome right?
‘’Uh no,’’ I snickered. I turned back to the mirror and slathered on some pink lipstick.
Looks weird alright.
I’m still gonna do it. Anyway, what are you doing?
Why did he want to know?
Getting ready to go out.
My phone bleeped but I was to busy switching my shirt to a pretty flowy blouse.
If I was going out, I wanted to go out with style.
So you ARE taken. You better behave yourself..
His message made me narrow my eyes at it and bite my lip, smearing the lipstick.
Shut up, you dork
Carly said she would pick me up and she was true to her word.
I jumped at the loud honking of her car and peaked out from the curtains nervously.
Already?
None of your business. I gotta go now, Ash.
I flopped my phone on my bed and trekked outside, watching Carly honk the horn.
My phone made one last buzz and I checked the message.
You lose about fifty to one hundred hairs a day! Okay bye.
‘’Oh my God Dahlia!’’ she squealed leaning over to hug me.
‘’Hey,’’ I smiled firmly and shut the car door, breathing heavily.
So this was really happening.
‘’Why are you so quiet? You used to be so chatty,’’ she teased sliding down her shades.
I shrugged and dabbed a pinky on my lips self consciously.
‘’I guess I changed,’’ I scratched the side of my nose which was outbreaking with pimples.
All that makeup really did catch up with my pores.
‘’Yeah all the teachers talk about you,’’ she almost said it smugly.
I stiffened up like a rod and leaned my head on the ice cold window.
What were they saying about me exactly?
‘’Well go on,’’ I flicked her on with my hand.
Carly looked over her shoulder and sighed, waving her fist at an old lady in the car next to us.
I wonder how she got her license.
‘’They were saying how such a respectful young polite girl could go get..well pregnant,’’ she cleared her throat.
Apparently the word pregnant was a disease now.
‘’Tim was sweet with the news,’’ I clenched my fingernails on the belt.
Which was a total lie.
He kinda freaked out and totally panicked.
‘’Oh. Well, that’s good,’’ she fakely smiled at me.
I rolled my eyes in secret, thanking whoever lived in the sky, that the car was dark.
She pulled into the movie theater and parked.
‘’I brought some friends by the way. They’re excited to meet you,’’ she piped up.
I got some uneasy feeling in my gut but I pushed it away.
‘’Let’s go then,’’ My voice cracked.
With that I stepped out of the car and wished quickly on the first star I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment