Thursday 5 July 2018

Two boys who missed Thai football team's cave trip reveal the twists of fate that saved them from disaster.


Two Thai school boys have revealed how they miraculously missed their football team's ill-fated trip to the Thamg Luang cave because one hadn't finished his homework and the other got a lift home from training with his mother.


Songpol Kanthawong and Tsaweechai Namsang – both 13 – were supposed to be with with 12 other boys and their football coach on a walk through the tunnels. But the boys pulled out at the last minute and now they can only watch and hope as rescuers race against time to try and save their teammates.Songpol told MailOnline: 

'I should have gone on the trip to the cave but I didn't have my bike so I could ride up there. Otherwise I would have been stuck too.' Tsaweechai added: 'I was going to go to the cave but I had not done my homework. So I had to go home to finish it.' 

Speaking at the Mae Sai Prasitsart School where most of the Wild Boar team are students the youngsters told how they missed their team-mates and prayed for their safe return.'My mum would have been struck down with worry if I was with them. She would have ended up in hospital.' Tsaweechai added: 

'When I first heard the news that they were trapped I didn't believe it. But as more and more reports came out I realized it had to be true. I am worried about them.' The boys cycled up to the cave with the coach after training for what was meant to be a four-hour walk around the caves as a treat. 





But they got stuck by rising floodwaters and were finally found nine days later when two hero British divers reached them on Monday. Speaking at school, the pair revealed that they have faith that their football coach will keep their friends safe and prayed for their speedy evacuation. 

'The trip to the cave had been planned for a few days. It was like a treat,' Songpol said. 'We all like the coach and I would have been happy to follow him into the cave. I know he would do everything to keep us safe.'

No comments:

Post a Comment